SEN. HERB KOHL'S LEGACY
Over the next few days many of us will reflect on the end of this year and the beginning of the new one and what will be different in 2013. As usual that includes people who have decided to leave their jobs at the end of the year and the first of those to whom we wish to pay tribute is U.S. Senator Herb Kohl.
If a Wisconsinite with the name of Kohl can ever really come out of nowhere, Herb Kohl did when he ran for the Senate 24 years ago. He didn't have to worry about campaign money and chose not to and he declared from the beginning he was "nobody Senator but yours." He was low key to the point of invisibility at times, but he never stopped working tirelessly for the citizens of Wisconsin, especially seniors, children, small business owners and the UW System. He served with dignity and honesty and he was respected by colleagues of both parties. It is in fact what we will miss most about not having Kohl in Washington – that reminder it is still possible to serve with dignity.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'