U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin this week reinforced her strong support for the kinds of live-enhancing, scientific research being done on the UW campus among other places, with the introduction of her Next Generation Research Act. Sen. Baldwin's bill would authorize and fund a Next Generation of Research Initiative within the Office of the Director of the National Institutes of Health, an agency that's been gutted by the sequester and budget cuts.
First of all the bill is in part a direct response to UW Medical School dean Robert Golden's Op-Ed column on the devastating effects of cuts to NIH funding on research at the UW Medical School and Wasiman Center to name a couple. But it is also an effort to ensure that America does not fall behind the rest of the world in innovation and the creation of 21st century economy. We respect Sen. Baldwin's vision and courage in advancing this important legislation.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'