REPORT AND INVESTIGATE
The Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism did a nice piece of work last week reporting a neighbor's disputed account of the shooting of Paul Heenan. While it is not conclusive evidence of poor judgment by Madison Police officer Stephen Heimsness or of any other wrongdoing at this point, the fact that statements made by the neighbors were not part of the Dane County District Attorney's report which cleared Heimsness of wrongdoing needs an explanation, especially since Police Chief Noble Wray acknowledged the neighbor's contention at a news briefing.
At any rate as we said it is too soon to jump to any conclusions here. But given the tragic nature of the event, and the underlying issue of trust in law enforcement, we welcome all the good reporting and official investigating we can get. The public, to say nothing of Paul Hennan's family, friends and neighbors, deserve nothing less.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'