While we would prefer that Congressman Paul Ryan use his considerable influence and popularity to publically lead on the issue of immigration reform, we appreciate his apparent behind the scenes efforts in supporting comprehensive immigration legislation.
The Washington Post is reporting today that Ryan is working "behind the scenes," to encourage support for a bill that most very conservative and Tea Party Republicans abhor and have pledged to oppose every step of the way. Ryan is among more veteran GOP leaders who support immigration reform. But unlike some, who support reform to improve the Party's standing among Hispanic voters, Ryan's motivation comes from his belief the US economy depends on immigrant workers and, more importantly, that "we cannot have a permanent underclass of Americans exploited in America."
Of course we already have such an underclass of Americans trapped in low-paying, benefit-less jobs, neither Republicans nor Democrats have done very much to help. But we trust Ryan on immigration reform, and we respect his efforts.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'