As if we needed further evidence of the disregard this Congress has for the citizens of this country right now…especially poor, jobless citizens in need of help…the cut in food stamp benefits that took place this weekend is perhaps the most egregious example yet.
It is certainly a symptom of dysfunctional politics in its connection to a Farm Bill that has long been a political football and a place to serve big money campaign donors rather than deal with the very real problems of agriculture and food production. And it is yet another example of a Congress that is willing to simply avoid doing its job to concentrate on keeping power.
But the willingness to hurt…really hurt, as in allow to suffer food insecurity…Millions of people, put further stress on families and children, stretch food pantries and charities and hurt local economies is shameful and infuriating. No one really expects Congress to do any good any more. But its indifference to doing harm is still shocking.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'