While it is admittedly still too early to draw any definitive conclusions on Madison School Superintendent Jen Cheatham's strategic framework the first quarterly progress report leaves a favorable first impression.
In a meeting with the WISC editorial board Cheatham went through a series of launch steps, many completed or on track but not hiding those that are behind schedule. Here are the biggest takeaways for us. First, and perhaps most important, improvement plans for each school are available on line. Each plan is tailored to the individual school so we urge you to find the school for your child and get familiar with the plan.
Second, we are excited by Cheatham's emphasis on access to challenging classes for all students, increased focus on innovation, while not losing focus on teaching and learning, and on recruitment, hiring and retention of teachers of color. These strike us as just the right areas for the attention of the district and those of us supporting its work.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'