Edgewood College President Dan Carey completed the transition trifecta today. The announcement of his retirement means that by this time next year all three of Madison's major post-secondary institutions will have new leadership, a significant moment for our city and its future.
That Edgewood College figures so prominently in that landscape is certainly due in large part to Dr. Carey's leadership over the last ten years. Carey was a prominent advocate for liberal arts colleges when he was hired in 2004, with a deep understanding of what makes a college like Edgewood so necessary in today's higher education arena. Since then he has guided Edgewood's growth, both physically, and educationally, with new buildings and new academic programs that both complemented UW and Madison College and put Edgewood on equal terms in shaping our region's educational and economic competitiveness. And he did it while diversifying the student body and staff and advancing Dominican values like sustainability, community and service.
Simply put, Dan Carey's been a great president, and Edgewood College is a better college for his commitment, dedication and leadership.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'