Assembly Republicans, doing Governor Walker's bidding, are threatening to introduce uncertainty, unnecessary meddling and worst of all political ideology into the state school standards discussion. At a time when our public schools are struggling with serious challenges and yet finally have a shared sense of direction…at least shared by educators and others who are actually involved in educating our kids…it is shameful to so willfully undermine that effort.
Of course when it comes to pandering to the Tea Party and its wealthy supporters shame isn't exactly a deterrent. And pandering is the only logical explanation for Walker's change of face in his dealings with State School Superintendent Tony Evers and the public school system in Wisconsin.
The new bill aimed at gutting current state standards written by Walker's staff is an absolutely transparent concession to voucher and private school advocates and bankrollers. Obviously Walker will ignore Evers, teachers, educational leaders like UW Dean Julie Underwood, principals, administrators and others who support the new standards. So it is up to parents, school board members, and especially the business community to tell the Governor how much this solution-lacking-a-problem will hurt our state. We urge them to do so.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'