NEXT UP FOR THE CAPITAL EAST DISTRICT: THE 800 BLOCK
For as important as developer Otto Gebhardt's new 12-story, Constellation office and residential project on the 700 block of East Washington Avenue is, the next development, on the 800 block, is arguably the one that'll start the rest of the dominoes in the Capital East District to fall. The reasons include a second, previously unthinkably dense building, and the inclusion of a grocery store. That can change a neighborhood.
The city is currently considering three proposals for the former Don Miller car dealer site and Gebhardt, in partnership with Metcalfe's Sentry, has put forward one of the proposals. The others are from C.D. Smith of Fond du Lac, and T. Wall Enterprises of Madison. All have their pluses and minuses. And we applaud all three developers for stepping up. We favor the Gebhardt/Metcalfe proposal because we believe that it best meets the needs and expectations of the neighborhood. And that's important. We're excited to get this piece of the new neighborhood in place. Good things will follow.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'