"MOVING FORWARD: REMEMBER…CELEBRATE…ACT"
It seems to us that each year, the annual observation of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is more relevant and poignant then the year before. Perhaps because it has become a time to reflect on what Dr. King stood for and both practiced and preached that the issues we face today take on greater context. The violence of Newtown that prompted the current gun debate, the wealth disparity that stubbornly persists, our local discussion of the best ways to educate all of our kids…all these issues can be viewed in light of Dr. King's teachings.
The easiest comparison is Dr. King's commitment to non-violence. But it is also the more complex combination of justice, equality and action that informed his vision for our world that seems so needed today as we tackle these tough issues. We appreciate the many observances of this holiday weekend, but especially the volunteer activities that have become such a part of the holiday. And we hope every year that that spirit grows and influences how we act as we move forward.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'