Actually "welcome" is probably not the right word for someone who has been in the Madison Police Department for more than 30 years. Suffice to say Mike Koval knows this community, and this department, pretty darned well. Koval has deep roots in Madison, and he's trained just about every police officer he is about to lead.
But we do welcome Sgt. Koval to the top job in MPD and wish him all the best in his work. We need the best right now as Madison continues to change and grow and as we continues to work on important public safety and criminal justice issues that are as tough as they are vital to our future.
Our initial impressions of Chief-to-be Koval are positive. His resume is impressive for both his contributions to the department over three decades and his reputation among his colleagues. Philosophy is important in the job of police chief and we like Koval's stated desire to create an image of officers as guardians of the public. We look forward to his leadership of one of this nation's best police departments.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'