I remember maybe ten years ago, sitting in the cramped, crowded, and outdated Wexford Ridge Community Center talking with staff and residents there about their dream of building a new community center to serve the many needs of the neighborhood.
The Lussier Community Education Center is the reality that dream became.
This week the Center is celebrating its fifth anniversary. And what a place it is.
It is an "innovative, inter-generational, green-built Center on the grounds of Jefferson Middle School and Memorial High School" and is the center of life for the Wexford Ridge Community. It is the site of after school programs, job training programs, community leadership and organizing activities, a farmers market, community meeting space and more. It has helped stabilize the neighborhood as a rightful source of pride.
The Center describes itself as building community, creating opportunity and enriching education. That it does all that so successfully is a tribute to the Center, the community and its residents.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'