In many ways it is a typical Madison discussion – does Madison have a definable music scene. That discussion has played itself out in one fashion in the build-up to this week's bounty of local music events, the Madison Area Music Awards on Sunday, the Isthmus Jazz Festival over the weekend, and Friday's inaugural Make Music Madison event.
The gist of this one centers around whether musicians should perform for free, or insist on getting paid. It's an important conversation and probably gets close to the heart of the matter – does Madison value its artists and particularly its local musicians. Let's keep talking about this. But in the meantime, let's enjoy this weekend. Take in the best of Madison music, go the MAMA's, hit the Terrace for Jazz, and show your appreciation for the musicians at all the Make Music Madison venues by putting a few bucks in the hat and popping for a CD. The fact is Madison has a rich and vibrant local music scene and it will only stay that way by supporting it.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'