LOVE WINS (JUST NOT IN WISCONSIN)
As difficult as it is to see other states, especially those around us in the upper Midwest with whom we are competing for talent and investment and jobs, leap ahead of us in critical areas, we can't begrudge Minnesota its inspirational passage of gay marriage legislation.
By becoming the 12th state to allow same-sex marriage Minnesota signaled the world that it is a place where human rights, social justice, inclusion and diversity are welcome and appreciated. Which makes it a pretty attractive state in which to live, work, play, and start a business.
Wisconsin is currently content to fall further behind, stubbornly standing its ground against 21st century values, aspirations and customs. But that will change. Like a modern transportation system, marital justice and equality is inevitable.
As one Minnesota State Senator put it, "today love wins." It'll eventually win in Wisconsin as well.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'