Homelessness in Dane County is a stubborn and pervasive challenge. There are a lot of people working very hard on the issue, lead as always by the United Way of Dane County, city and county governments, and agencies like Porchlight and the YWCA. But you get the sense that to really make a dent in getting more people into permanent housing we are all going to have do a little bit more.
So we're impressed with Leadership Greater Madison taking on the role of convening a community conversation on homelessness. The LGM project team has recruited local advocates and service providers as well as a national expert to deliver a keynote address at a Summit on Homelessness in Dane County next Thursday the 15th. We tell you this now because the Summit is open to the public but you need to register by Wednesday. You can do that at the website www.eventbrite.com. The idea is to share information and perhaps come up with a coordinated approach to the problem. We see it as a nice addition to the work already being done to address homelessness in our community.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'