Madison's Art Fair is certainly an "event" of the caliber of Concerts on the Square and the Farmers Market. The element of "being there" is as much a part of the experience as the actual purpose of the event.
But the purpose, or to be more accurate, purposes, of this weekend's fairs are important ones.
The fair circling the State Capitol is the largest fundraiser for the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art and as such makes it possible for more than 200,000 people to visit the museum free of charge every year. The Art Fair Off the Square…and please don't miss this equally as important fair along Martin Luther King, Jr., Blvd, features all Wisconsin artists and is a wonderful example of the "buy local" growing in understanding and appreciation.
Together the fairs represent the value of the arts to our lives and our local economy, estimated for just this one weekend alone at some $25 million.
By all means go, enjoy, get inspired, and buy. And don't forget to walk down MLK Boulevard.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'