INDEPENDENT REVIEW DESERVES CONSIDERATION
WISC reporter Theo Keith's investigation of different approaches to investigating police shootings has helped us think through possible alternatives for Madison to consider.
In response to the questions raised by the process for reviewing Madison Police Officer Steve Heimsness's fatal shooting of Paul Heenan, Keith visited Knoxville, Tennessee where a seven member panel of citizens appointed by the Mayor and approved by the city council investigates every officer-involved incident. The panel has not only built up trust of law enforcement within the community, but has won the support of the police chief and other city leaders as well.
We're impressed with the Knoxville model. And since Madison Mayor Soglin and Police Chief Wray have both indicated a willingness to consider independent review panels, let's get this one on the table for public dialogue.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'