As increasingly commercial as Christmas always seems to become, it is also a time of exceptional generosity and love. It is in fact a kind of saving grace that no matter what, our better selves come out at Christmas and that spirit of caring for each other and giving from the heart is what makes the holiday so meaningful.
There are so many examples, from the Salvation Army kettles to the simple random acts of kindness that folks do when no one is looking. By and large we step up on this day and try to make the present possible for a child who might go without, or a meal available for someone in need. It's not perfect. Too many have too little. But we are all aware of how many folks do try to give just a little extra at this time of year and we want you all to know we appreciate it and wish that it gives you that feeling of peace and hope at the very heart of Christmas.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'