HEALTHY FOOD FOR HEALTHY KIDS
What we eat and how that food is grown has a profound impact on our bodies and our world. Surely the food discussion today, from Slow Food, to buy local, to farmers markets has an element of enjoyment to it. But at a much deeper level, healthy food, responsibly grown and available to all is about healthy lives and a sustainable planet. And we know those goals are much less attainable for people in poverty.
This week, United Way of Dane County is launching a 10 year plan to increase access to fresh and healthy food for all children in Dane County. In partnership with the Community Action Coalition and the Goodman Foundation, the Healthy Food for all Children delegation is targeting increased access to healthy food for families, increased capacity of neighborhoods and communities to support affordable healthy food choices, and increased culturally appropriate healthy food in schools, summer programs and childcare. This is a food system that can help support local farms and help families facing the choice of paying the rent or buying food. But most important it'll mean healthier children.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'