GOVERNOR (?) WALKER
I don't know how much harder this editorial board can try to give Governor Walker the benefit of the doubt. Back a couple of years ago; when the Governor would actually talk to our board, we were of a mind that despite our policy differences with him, he cared more for Wisconsin that his national political reputation. We're beginning to have second-thoughts
Again, the Governor won't meet with us so we can't ask him what he's thinking. But last week Florida Governor Rick Scott became the 7th Republican governor to support taking advantage of President Obama's voluntary Medicaid expansion. The Florida Governor followed the path of Arizona Governor Brewer and Ohio Governor Kasich, all Republicans who acceded to the financial benefit for their states joining the federal program. Their ideology is not unlike that of Governor Walker. They made the hard choice to agree the federal option was the best despite their view that most matters are handled better at the state level. That didn't happen here on a very important issue which probably will cost the state millions of dollars.
So, we're beginning to ask: Is Governor Walker working on behalf of Wisconsin and its citizens or is he acting like a Governor whose focus now has moved to the national stage?
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'