First of all, I know the word over my shoulder is one you've probably not seen before. I hadn't either until recently. But when you combine local and investing you get locavesting and that's an idea upon which rests much of our future.
Locavesting is also the name of a new book by author Amy Cortese who just happens to be in town for Forward Community Investment's Annual Investor Breakfast Wednesday morning, preceded by a reception Tuesday evening. The discussion is all about local investing opportunities, something about which FCI knows a thing or two, and Cortese will talk about "how a small shift in investment away from multinationals towards locally-owned enterprises can reap enormous economic and social benefits for individuals, their communities and the country."
This is all especially relevant right now because the Madison region is growing more and more locally-owned enterprises every day. It is, as Cortese says, about putting your money where you live. And we think that's a good place for it to be.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'