Our appreciation of athletics comes with many layers beyond just the skill of the players and the enjoyment of the sport. Included among those layers are often the men and women who announce the games, or add color to the descriptions of various plays. We "get to know" these folks and hearing their voices becomes part of the experience.
For forty years the experience of University of Wisconsin hockey has included the voice of Paul Braun. Currently doing the games for Fox Sports, Braun has called UW hockey for local radio stations and Wisconsin Public Television. He is as identified with UW hockey as the Johnson Family and is one of the most respected hockey announcers in America. And he wears his love of UW hockey on his sleeve.
As a special anniversary tribute, Braun is reuniting with old broadcasting partner and former UW goaltending coach Bill Howard to call Friday's game on WIBA. We're looking forward to it and wish to recognize this truly good guy's loyalty, tenure and commitment to the sport and the people who listen to it.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'