In our effort to provide you with the occasional economic spin doctor to counter the dubious claims of folks running for office this fall we express our appreciation to the respected Wisconsin business leader and blogger on public policy issues John Torinus for absolutely nailing it on the flurry of accusations between the campaigns of Governor Walker and challenger Mary Burke on the issue of outsourcing jobs.
Walker has ripped Burke over outsourcing at Trek Bicycle and Burke has shot back at Walker over similar practices by companies getting money from the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation. Here's Torinus's spot-on analysis from an interview on "Upfront with Mike Gousha."
"It strikes me as shallow," Torinus said. He called the bickering "one inch deep." He went on to say all companies of any significant size operate globally, which we view as a good thing, and that Trek founder Richard Burke, Mary's father, "should be on our hall of fame for entrepreneurs."
Finally Torinus summed up the dispute and our agenda item perfectly: "The world is not as simple as the candidates would like to make it out."
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'