We've gotten used to politics interfering with smart business practices. Rewarding friends in politics is as old as politics itself. But some deals are worse than others and the recent DNR grant to United Sportsman of Wisconsin to promote hunting and fishing in Wisconsin has turned out to be a real stinker.
The grant looked like a sweetheart deal from the beginning given the organization's ties to majority Republican leadership in the legislature. It looked worse when it turned out the group had little or no experience doing the work the half-Million dollar grant was supposed to pay for. But now that it has been exposed for not even having the federal non-profit status it needs and claimed it had we can see no reason to play this game any longer. United Sportsman doesn't qualify for the grant and the application process should be re-opened so it can go to someone else.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'