Madison has a Central Park. And while not quite on the scale of THE Central Park in New York, or even the park envisioned years ago when the idea was dreamed up by the old Urban Open Space Foundation, it is a significant accomplishment nonetheless.
A lot of people have worked very hard to make this more than seven acre park complete with a great lawn, seating areas and creative restroom facility.
It is also the home of Madison's first skate park.
But perhaps most important, Central Park is another piece to the Capitol East District puzzle that is finally being assembled. With the development activity occurring on East Washington Avenue, plans for the Yahara River, the grassroots Willy-Wash concept, and the proposed StartingBlock project on Williamson Street combined with Central Park, you've got the foundation of a new, urban neighborhood that will be an integral and exciting part of Madison's future.
Our congratulations to everyone involved, and thanks for making it happen.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'