CHAMPIONING THE UN
One of the challenges of writing about the United Nations in the 21st century is the knee-jerk response of critics who have lost sight of the mission of the UN in an environment of politicized globalism. What's typically missing in the criticism is the humanity in that mission…the human-ness.
Few embraced that humanity like the late U.S. Senator and candidate for President of the United States, George McGovern. McGovern was an outspoken and fearless champion for the bedrock issues of peace and human dignity and ending hunger at the heart of the UN.
This Sunday, the Dane County Chapter of the United Nations Association will honor the memory of George McGovern at a special luncheon at Monona Terrace. Former Congressman David Obey is the keynote speaker. The Dane County chapter of the organization is a good one. And this should be a good event. We thought some of you might like to know about it.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'