It's hard to take political pledges of bipartisanship seriously these days. Most such pledges are so disingenuous as to be laughable. Congress is incapable of working together. But here in Wisconsin we are nothing if not hopeful, and we hope that Governor Walker and legislative leaders Vos and Fitzgerald and Larsen and Barca are sincere in their pledges to work with each other in meeting the needs of the citizens of this state.
Surely the issues confronting this state deserve bipartisan consideration. Jobs, education, taxes…real people are suffering and real leadership is needed. But equally important, honest bipartisanship would necessarily include a measure of respect and civility that has been absent for too long in our state. And that has undermined citizen trust and hope. And the real danger of not being honest about these pledges of working together is the disintegration of that hope altogether. We hope our leaders realize that.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'