ABSENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY
What a mess. The U.S. Justice Department is secretly obtaining telephone records from working journalists, the Internal Revenue Service is targeting a political group for extra scrutiny, and no one appears honest about what happened in Benghazi or why it matters.
Taken individually, each of these issues is troubling and worthy of investigation. Together they give the impression of a government that is seriously lacking in both integrity and accountability.
None of these issues threaten to bring down the Republic. But they are serious and how they are handled will impact the ability of citizens of the U.S. to trust their government. President Obama has got to take responsibility here, both because it's his job, and because Republicans have proved themselves incapable. These matters have called Obama's leadership into question. Accountability must start with him.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'