A SAFE PLACE AND A SMART IDEA
A really good idea is always worth celebrating. But when that good idea comes from a trusted institution and helps build a safe and healthy community – well, now we're on to something.
Last week, in response to a Cragslist transaction that resulted in an armed robbery, the Milton Police Department offered the use of its department lobby for such transactions. Now, we're not ones to underestimate the stupidity of some criminals, but it seems to us doing business inside a police department headquarters might dissuade someone from doing something illegal.
Unfortunately crimes like last week's in Janesville are becoming more common, and indeed other police departments around the country are similarly making their buildings available for the safe exchange of goods and cash. But as far as we know Milton's police department is the first in our area and we're impressed by their proactively offering this public service.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'