All right, so we suspect not very many of you woke up this morning and resolved to run for political office. To which we respond: why not?
We understand that in many respects running for elected office has the same appeal as eating less chocolate or a commitment to 6 a-m trips to the gym. But in reality the only way to return public service to a noble contribution to our world is by noble people doing it. And you're out there. We know it. You know it. You can make it better.
We realize we've not given you a lot of time. The filing deadline is a week away. But if you want to do it you can. There are easy to follow instructions on line at municipal web sites like the Dane County Clerk's office. Races include all Dane County Board seats and two Madison School Board seats and various other local races and judgeships. We too often think there's nothing we can do to improve the dismal state of politics today. But there is. Think about it.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'