We admit to being a little disappointed a couple of years ago when the decision was made to remodel the current Madison Central Library rather than tear it down and build, a new, grand building. Boy oh boy did the project ever turn out better than we could have dreamed.
The new Central Library is a magnificent place, a total transformation that combines architectural creativity and craftsmanship with 21st century functionality and accessibility. This is a truly modern library weaving technology, flexibility, multi-use spaces and good old books and periodicals within a welcoming environment of comfort and hospitality. A library that welcomes eating and drinking: who'd have thunk it?
The official ribbon cutting is Saturday, but as befits the feel of the new place the rest of the grand opening is all about tours and activities and drop in programs. We think this is going to be a special place in Madison, in demand and widely used. It's a great addition to our city.
- Image copyright 2017 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Surprising facts about Madison you might not know
- Capitol Neighborhoods: The heart of the city
- Regent: An area with unmistakable energy
- Tenney-Lapham: A residential hotspot
- Marquette: One of the nations '10 Great Neighborhoods'