The Sow's Ear offers a variety of classes for both the the beginner and the seasoned knitter. For someone just learning, check out the arm knitting workshop from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 21. For the seasoned yarn-slinger, sign up for the holiday intarsia gift bag workshop from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 15. Both classes are $25. 125 S. Main St., Verona
The Knitting Tree has you covered with knitting materials to create the warmest of items this winter. Don't know how to knit? TKT offers private lessons great for you and a friend. 2636 Monroe St.
Wrap your hands around some quality yarn at these other great knitting stores: KnitCircus Studio and Store, 634 Grand Canyon Drive; Wisconsin Craft Market, 148 Westgate Mall; Off the Beaten Path Yarnery, 1216 Williamson St.; Prairie Junction Yarn, 227 E. Main St., Sun Prairie; Woodland Studios, 195 E. Main St., Stoughton; The Cat and Crow, 205 E. Main St., Mount Horeb.
Get your mitts on these mittens
The Re-Mitt Project transforms old wool sweaters into one-of-a-kind mitten pairs that are 100 percent recycled. No two pairs are the same, and all proceeds benefit the River Food Pantry. Men's and women's mittens are $30 and Wisconsin Badgers mittens are $40. Visit riverfoodpantry.org to find sale locations.
Emily Balsley, local illustrator and super mom, can help you create what will surely be the most interesting holiday card on your friends' fridges this year. Her illustrated family portraits are a fun, different way to spread the joy this season. She starts in her sketchbook with hand-drawn portraits of each family member—making sure to capture the personalities of the family—and then she redraws the portrait in PhotoShop. Price depends on the size of the family and number of pets, but start at $120. Emily Balsley Illustration, emilybalsley.com/portrait/
Karner Blue Candle & Supply is a female-owned business that prides itself on its environmentally friendly candle products. Pick up a few for stocking stuffers or create your own candle in a class starting at $35. 1915 Monroe St.
- Criminal charges being considered against student who posted threatening picture
- Former village employee arrested on water meter tampering, theft charges
- Clarke says plagiarism charge could cost him DHS position
- Colony Brands closes Madison location; More than 100 lose jobs
- 9 months after fatal crash, driver charged with felony
- Missing 15-year-old last seen May 17, officials say
- Darlington officer spooks masked men, thwarts theft of UTV, police say
- Janesville school board looks to revise policy, boost attendance
- Local venues talk security after Britain attack
- Federal budget proposal would slow cancer research
- Milwaukee man charged in Appleton police shooting incident
- Dryer fire displaces family on Madison's west side, officials say