When strawberries are in season, this salad is a special healthy treat. You will love the tasty dressing topping the colorful combination of fresh greens, red strawberries and blueberries. To make it really special, add sugared walnuts.
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cups fresh spinach or lettuce greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup chopped sugar glazed walnuts* (See recipe below)
In a jar, combine raspberry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and oil. Using an immersion blender, mix well. Set aside.
On individual serving plates, combine spinach, strawberries, blueberries and feta cheese. When ready to serve, add desired amount of dressing.
Top with walnuts if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 125
- Fat, gm.: 8
- Protein, gm.: 4
- Carbs, gm. : 10
- Cholesterol, mg.: 5
- Fiber, gm.: 2.1
*Sugar Glazed Walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, whole or coarsely chopped
Method 1 - microwave: Lightly butter a cookie sheet. In a large 2 cup Pyrex cup or bowl, combine sugar and water. Stir to mix. Add walnuts and stir. Place in microwave and cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until sugar mixture has caramelized to a light brown color. Pour walnuts onto cookie sheet to cool. Break into desired sized pieces.
Method 2 - skillet: Lightly butter a cookie sheet. In a small skillet, combine sugar and water. Stir to mix. Add walnuts and stir. Cook over medium-hot heat for 3 - 5 minutes or until sugar mixture has caramelized to a light brown color. Be careful not to burn. Pour walnuts onto cookie sheet to cool. Break into desired sized pieces.
CAUTION: Handle hot sugar mixtures very carefully. It is extremely hot. Do not allow children anywhere near this process.
Nutritional Information per serving of Sugar Glazed Walnuts:
- Calories: 55
- Fat, gm.: 2
- Protein, gm.: 1
- Carbs, gm. : 9
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 0.2
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- American Airlines investigates after video shows mom in tears
- After 67 years, Fennimore tavern serves its final round
- United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz won't be promoted to chairman
- Air marshal leaves gun in airplane bathroom