Don't be deceived by the name of this soup. It is very low in fat but has a wonderful creamy texture and complex flavor. It is full of important nutrients and fiber. Choose any combination of root vegetables and add sausage, ham, or other meat if desired.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (49 ounces) fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provinces or Italian seasoning
- 2 turkey Italian sausage links, optional
- 1 cup fat-free half & half
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add all other chopped vegetables and cook about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and continue to boil gently for 45 minutes or until all the vegetables are very tender.
Using a hand held immersion blender, blenderize the soup to desired consistently.(It can be completely smooth or leave some of the vegetables chunky.) Add sausage if desired, and half & half. Heat through. Add additional broth or wine to thin to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with parsley or another green herbs.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 170 Fat, gm. 2 Protein, gm. 14 Carbs, gm. 24 Cholesterol, mg. 0 Fiber, gm. 5.0