Potatoes and hard cooked eggs are combined with a low fat creamy sauce for a hearty breakfast or supper meal. Ham or bacon can be substituted for the sausage.
Leftovers warm up beautifully in the microwave.
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 hard cooked eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces ground Italian seasoned turkey sausage or sausage of your choice
- seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2% fat
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon herb de Provence or Italian seasoning
- dash white pepper
- dash hot pepper sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- dash paprika
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a deep 9 inch pie pan.
In a pan of boiling water, cook potatoes until fork tender. Chill under cold water. Peel and cut into bite-sized chunks. Set aside. Peel eggs and thinly slice. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside. Add pepper and cook until tender. Remove from pan and set aside Add sausage and cook until brown. Stir to crumble. Set aside.
In a small food processor, combine sauce ingredients. Process until smooth. Add extra salt, pepper or hot sauce to taste.
Layer: Place half of the potatoes in bottom of pie pan. Add half of the eggs. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Add half of the onions, peppers, and sausage. Spoon on half of the sauce.
Repeat the layers. Top with shredded cheese if desired. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until heated though and slightly brown on top. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with green onions.
Nutritional Information per serving (serves 4):
Fat, gm.: 14
Protein, gm.: 21
Carbs, gm.: 18
Cholesterol, mg.: 200
Fiber, gm.: 1.9
290 14 21 18 200 1.9
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Malaysia Airlines CEO attempts 'greatest turnaround'
- Homeless girls bond in Girl Scout Troop 6000
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- American Airlines investigates after video shows mom in tears
- After 67 years, Fennimore tavern serves its final round