In 1973, WISC – TV 3 sponsored a recipe contest for dairy dessert pies. This was a winning recipe created by Norma Radke. Her husband Jerry and her daughter Lorie remember her wonderful family dinners and special desserts. They lived on a farm in Loganville, Wisconsin.
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks*
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 egg whites*
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Garnish options: grated chocolate, chocolate syrup, chopped peanuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9 inch pie plate, combine crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter. Mix well and press firmly in bottom of pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
In a heavy medium sized saucepan, mix gelatin, 1/4 cup sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat milk and egg yolks together. Pour gradually into gelatin and sugar mixture while stirring. Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly. Cook until mixture just comes to a boil. Add peanut butter and stir until well mixed. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and add 2 tablespoon of sugar. Fold into peanut butter mixture. Beat cream until stiff and add 2 tablespoon of sugar. Fold whipped cream into peanut butter mixture. Pour into crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
When ready to serve, sprinkle with grated chocolate, drizzle with chocolate syrup and top with chopped peanuts if desired.
*Use pasteurized eggs.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 21
Protein, gm.: 6
Carbs, gm.: 30
Cholesterol, mg.: 80
Fiber, gm.: 0.9
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam
- Eating well can help control cholesterol
- Over 400,000 plastic toy frogs recalled
- Mom carrying baby without brain to term - to donate organs
- Contestant in wheelchair is a first for Miss Australia pageant
- Fallen angels? Victoria's Secret sales plunge