What an attractive and yummy side dish. For a main course, you might like to add sausage or ground beef to the bean mixture. Spice it up with the salsa of your choice.
- 8 small zucchini, about 8 inches long
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) refried beans
- 3/4 cup salsa, medium or hot – your choice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out soft middle. Chop the soft middle pulp and set aside.
Sprinkle the insides of the zucchini with salt and pepper. Place cut side down in baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and turn cut side up.
In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and chopped middle pulp of the zucchinis. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender. Add refried beans and salsa. Stir to mix well. Add extra hot to taste if desired. Fill each zucchini half with bean mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake until heated through and cheese is melted and slightly brown.
Nutritional information per serving (8)
Fat, gm.: 6
Protein, gm.: 6
Carbs, gm.: 10
Cholesterol, mg.: 15
Fiber, gm.: 3.0
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Apple-raspberry vinaigrette
- 'I could not even dream': What it's like to be gay in North Korea
- China's first big jetliner clears final hurdle before flying