Make this soup as hot as you like it with the Asian chili garlic sauce.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large leek, white section
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups diced fresh sweet potato
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk or fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian hot chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- dollops of sour cream
In a medium soup pot or large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, crumble, and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Add leek to pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add sweet potatoes and chicken broth. Cook until fork tender. Add coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, and brown sugar.
Using a hand held immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Leave some chunks of sweet potato and pieces of leek or completely puree until smooth. Add chili garlic sauce and white wine. Heat through.
Taste soup and add additional sugar, lime juice, or hot garlic sauce to suit your tastes. Add salt and pepper to taste. If soup gets too thick, thin with additional broth or wine.
Serve in individual bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream and reserved crumbled bacon.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories 220
- Fat, gm 9
- Protein, gm 5
- Carbs, gm 29
- Cholesterol, mg 5
- Fiber, gm 2.1
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire
- Where the sun rarely shines