So smooth and SO good! Serve it cold in the summer and hot in the winter.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups (10 ounces) chopped carrots
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- dash white pepper, to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup toasted croutons, optional
In a heavy large saucepan or soup pot, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add carrots and cook for additional 5 minutes. Add broth, ketchup, rice, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 30 - 45 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
Use a hand held blender or use a regular blender to puree the soup. For an extra smooth soup, pour through a strainer. Add white pepper and salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add extra broth if necessary to thin to desired consistency.
Serve in individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and toasted croutons.
Nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 165
- Fat, gm.: 5
- Protein, gm.: 5
- Carbs, gm.: 26
- Cholesterol, mg.: 20
- Fiber, gm.: 3.2
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Apple-raspberry vinaigrette
- 'I could not even dream': What it's like to be gay in North Korea
- China's first big jetliner clears final hurdle before flying
- Panera to hire 10,000 as it expands delivery service
- How these students got into every Ivy League school