Are you looking for a healthy breakfast but you really aren't an oatmeal lover?
Try this make-ahead recipe that pairs oatmeal with apples and nuts and adds a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon flavor. Cut it in squares and serve with yogurt or drizzle with maple syrup. You may become an oatmeal convert!
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup Egg Beaters or 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups raw quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped*
- 1 cup flaked coconut, optional
Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, combine milk and egg beaters, applesauce, brown sugar, Splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Beat well. Add oats, walnuts, apple, and coconut. Stir to mix. Spoon into baking pan. Cover and refrigerate over night or until ready to bake. (Let stand at least an hour before baking.) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until set.
*Choose a cooking variety of apple such as Golden Delicious
top with vanilla yogurt or whipped cream sprinkle with cinnamon sugar drizzle with maple syrup top with blueberry sauce top with fresh berries
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 165
- Fat, gm.: 3
- Protein, gm.: 8
- Carbs, gm.: 27
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 3.1
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Malaysia Airlines CEO attempts 'greatest turnaround'
- Homeless girls bond in Girl Scout Troop 6000
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- American Airlines investigates after video shows mom in tears
- After 67 years, Fennimore tavern serves its final round