Kohlrabi is a light green colored, bulb-shaped vegetable. The name literally means cabbage-turnip. After peeling the fibrous outer layer, the flesh is firm and has a mild sweet taste. It is great to eat raw.
In this soup, the kohlrabi and carrots are blended together to give it a pleasing, mild, slightly sweet flavor. The potato is added to give extra body and help thicken the soup.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 slices turkey or pork bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced (1-1/2 cups diced)
- 1 pound kohlrabi bulb, peeled and diced (3 cups diced)
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced (2 cups diced)
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, cook bacon until brown and crisp. (If using turkey bacon, it is best to add a small amount of oil to the pan. If using pork bacon, it is not necessary to add extra oil. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan when done cooking bacon.)
Remove bacon from pan, crumble and set aside. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and carrots. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add kohlrabi, potato, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 30 - 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add white pepper and dill weed. Using an immersion blender, pureed part of the vegetables until soup is a desired consistency. The soup can be completely pureed or you can leave some pieces of vegetable in the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top individual servings with reserved bacon.
- Calories 100
- Fat, gm. 3
- Protein, gm. 4
- Carbs, gm. 15
- Cholesterol, mg. 0
- Fiber, gm. 4
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- American Airlines investigates after video shows mom in tears
- After 67 years, Fennimore tavern serves its final round
- United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz won't be promoted to chairman
- Air marshal leaves gun in airplane bathroom