The vegetable kohlrabi is a crispy, crunchy bulb with a great flavor that combines the earthy sweetness of cabbage with the bite and heat of turnips or radishes. It is often eaten raw but is also good cooked in soups or stews. This recipe combines raw kohlrabi with apples to make a unique crisp salad. It keeps well for days in the refrigerator.
- 1 medium kohlrabi bulb
- 2 medium red apples, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cut kohlrabi into quarters. Peel and discard the tough outer skin. Place slices of kohlrabi in a small food processor and chop into small pieces. Spoon into a serving bowl. Add chopped apples.
In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Add to kohlrabi and apples. Stir to mix well.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add chopped walnuts if desired.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 0.5
Protein, gm.: 0.5
Carbs, gm.: 11
Cholesterol, mg.: 0
Fiber, gm.: 2.4
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Apple-raspberry vinaigrette
- 'I could not even dream': What it's like to be gay in North Korea
- China's first big jetliner clears final hurdle before flying