Make your own baked beans with this fast and easy recipe. Start with white canned beans and add your own sweet and sour flavors to suit your taste.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, drained
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 pound lean ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons molasses or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside. Discard all but 1/2 tablespoon of bacon fat. Add onions and cook until tender. Add ham. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
Prepare sauce: In a jar or small deep dish, combine sauce ingredients. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your taste. Add more sugar, mustard, or seasonings if desired.
Drain beans and place in a large bowl, (It is not necessary to rinse the beans.) Add bacon, onions, and ham. Add sauce. Stir until well mixed. Spoon into medium 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour or until flavors have blended.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 180
- Fat, gm.: 2
- Protein, gm.: 11
- Carbs, gm.: 30
- Cholesterol, mg.: 10
- Fiber, gm.: 5.5
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Apple-raspberry vinaigrette
- 'I could not even dream': What it's like to be gay in North Korea
- China's first big jetliner clears final hurdle before flying
- Panera to hire 10,000 as it expands delivery service