For a special grilled appetizer, try these melt-in-your mouth grilled tomatoes topped with melted fresh mozzarella.
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes, cut in 3/4" slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut in 1/4" slices
- 4 slices wheat or French bread, toasted and cut in quarters
Pesto sauce* (or use purchased pesto)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat charcoal or gas grill. Brush both sides of each tomato slice lightly with olive oil. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place tomato slices on a grill pan. Set mozzarella slices and bread slices aside.
In a small food processor combine pesto ingredients. Blend until basil is finely chopped. Set aside.
Place grill pan of tomatoes in grill. Grill for 1 - 2 minute and flip tomatoes. Top with cheese. Cover grill and cook until cheese begins to melt. Place a tomato slice with melted cheese on a quartered piece of toasted bread. Top with a dollop of pesto.
Garnish plate with fresh basil if desired.
Nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 160
- Fat, gm.: 8
- Protein, gm.: 6
- Carbs, gm.: 17
- Cholesterol, mg.: 1
- Fiber, gm.: 2.3
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- American Airlines offering its pilots and flight attendants a raise
- United reaches settlement with passenger dragged off plane
- Southwest Airlines: We won't overbook anymore
- Johnny Depp turns up at Disneyland as Capt. Jack Sparrow (and fans lose it)
- Twin lion cubs born at Dane County zoo to debut next month