Green Bean casserole, topped with canned soup and fried onions, is an old traditional favorite. Try this recipe if you would like to make it homemade.
Baked Fried Onions
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces fresh mushroom, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- dash white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) green beans, drained
Baked Fried Onions - Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix chopped onions with a beaten egg. Place Panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Add onions and toss until well coated. Evenly spread onions on baking pan. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Toss them with a spatula every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and coarsely crumble them. Sprinkle with salt. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
Mushroom Sauce - In a medium sized heavy saucepan, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add finely chopped mushrooms. (It works best to chop them in a small food processor.) Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender and most of the moisture has been absorbed. Place mushroom in a bowl and set aside. Add 3 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Melt the butter. Add flour and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture is bubbly. Add chicken broth and continue to stir constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Add milk, white pepper, sherry, and reserved mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste. Beans - Place canned beans in a casserole dish. Add desired amount of sauce. This can be made ahead at this point. Cover and refrigerated until ready to bake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with crumbled breaded onions. Place in oven and bake for an additional 5 - 10 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving (10)
Fat, gm.: 5
Protein, gm.: 5
Carbs, gm.: 23
Cholesterol, mg.: 30
Fiber, gm.: 3
- Climate change to make turbulence stronger, more frequent
- School gives guide dog his own yearbook photo
- First look inside Disney's new 'Avatar -- World of Pandora'
- Missed opportunities: The irony of overscheduling
- Nathan's and Curtis beef hot dogs recalled
- After 17 years of trying, this couple had sextuplets