This is a great recipe for creamed spinach lovers. For a special presentation spoon a small amount of the spinach into mini phyllo shells.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- dash red pepper
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- salt and pepper to taste
- mini phyllo shells optional
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent. Add flour and stir until well blended. Add milk and cook over medium heat, while stirring constantly, until it comes to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add white pepper, nutmeg, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper. Stir until well mixed. Stir in spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This can be made ahead and refrigerated at this point. Spoon into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat through in the microwave. Add additional milk if needed to thin to desired consistency.
To create an interesting presentation, spoon a small amount of the spinach mixture into mini phyllo shells. It is best to pre-bake the phyllo shells in a 425 degree oven until lightly brown before filling with the hot spinach mixture.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 4
Protein, gm.: 5
Carbs, gm.: 9
Cholesterol, mg.: 15
Fiber, gm.: 2.6
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Malaysia Airlines CEO attempts 'greatest turnaround'
- Homeless girls bond in Girl Scout Troop 6000
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- American Airlines investigates after video shows mom in tears
- After 67 years, Fennimore tavern serves its final round