This salad received rave reviews at my recent book club. Pastsy shared the recipe and I adapted it. It is so colorful and it has a wonderful unique flavor. You can make it as hot as you like with a combination of either chipotle seasoning or smoked paprika.
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced into small cubes
- Seasoned salt (e.g. Lawry's) and pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh cooked or canned corn, drained*
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle seasoning, to taste**
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, cook bacon until very crisp. Remove from pan, crumble and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set pan aside.
Cut potatoes in small 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes. Place in shallow bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Heat skillet with bacon grease and add potatoes. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are brown and tender. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Stir as needed.
Place potatoes in a large bowl and set aside. Add onions to skillet and cook until translucent. Add pepper and cook until tender. Sprinkle lightly with seasoned salt and pepper. Place in bowl with potatoes. Add corn, vinegar, and reserved bacon to the bowl. Stir to mix. Add chipotle or paprika and stir to mix. Taste it! Add additional chipotle or paprika to suit your taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: * Choose a good quality canned corn such as niblet corn or better yet, use fresh cooked corn cut off the cob.
Note:** Chipotle seasoning is great in this recipe but it does tends to be hot. If you cannot find that seasoning, use a combination of smoked paprika and semi-hot paprika or red pepper. (All of these seasonings are available at Penzeys.)
Serves 12 (1/2 cup servings)
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 140
- Fat, gm.: 7
- Protein, gm.: 4
- Carbs, gm.: 15
- Cholesterol, mg.: 10
- Fiber, gm.: 2.2
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Restaurant to leave Trump Soho Hotel
- Ciara and Russell Wilson welcome baby girl
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos