Just the right soup for a hot summer day.
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium red peppers, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- dash white pepper
- salt to taste
- basil leaves for garnish
In a medium saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic, peppers, and paprika. Cook over medium heat while stirring until peppers are tender. Add broth, cover pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 20 minutes or until peppers are very soft. Remove from heat.
Use a hand held blender or use a regular blender to puree the soup. If soup is not completely smooth, pour through a strainer. Add sugar, white pepper, and salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Add extra broth if necessary to thin to desired consistency.
Garnish individual servings with a sprig of fresh basil.
Makes 1 pint.
Nutritional information per serving (1/2 cup):
- Calories: 40
- Fat, gm.: 1.5
- Protein, gm.: 1
- Carbs, gm.: 6
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 1.4
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- American Airlines offering its pilots and flight attendants a raise
- United reaches settlement with passenger dragged off plane
- Southwest Airlines: We won't overbook anymore
- Johnny Depp turns up at Disneyland as Capt. Jack Sparrow (and fans lose it)
- Twin lion cubs born at Dane County zoo to debut next month