This is a great comfort-food flavorful stew. Choose a low fat Italian turkey or chicken sausage. To make this recipe extra easy, use a rotisserie-style chicken.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat 1/3 of the oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add 1/3 of the oil and mushrooms. Cook until lightly brown. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add remaining oil and pepper. Cook until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Squeeze sausage from the casing and add sausage to skillet. (Discard casing.) Cook over medium-hot heat until lightly brown. Stir while cooking to break into small pieces. Add broth and bring to a boil to deglaze the pan. Add reserved onion, mushrooms and peppers. Add beans. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and chicken. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minute or until flavors are blended and it reaches desired consistency. If you prefer, add additional broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over pasta of your choice.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 15
Protein, gm.: 37
Carbs, gm.: 34
Cholesterol, mg.: 80
Fiber, gm.: 7.7
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire
- Where the sun rarely shines