Use a rotisserie chicken and combine it with wild rice, white rice and fresh fruit. Add a sweet cinnamon flavored dressing and top it with chopped nuts. Yum!
- 2 cups cooked wild rice*
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned (cut each section in half)
- 1 cup green grapes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts of your choice
- 6 ounces fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
In a large bowl, combine wild rice, white rice, chicken pieces, blueberries, pineapple, orange sections, and grapes. Set walnuts aside.
In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Add dressing to rice mixture and stir gently to mix well. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, add walnuts.
Note: Cook rice ahead of time and chill it before combining with the other ingredients.
3/4 cup of raw wild rice will make 2 cups of cooked rice.
1/2 cup of raw white rice will make 1 cups of cooked rice.
*Directions for an easy, fool-proof way to cook wild rice.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash desired amount of rice and place in an oven-proof bowl or an oven proof pan. (Choose the size of bowl or pan depending on how much rice you are cooking. The rice will triple in amount after it is cooked.) For every cup of rice, measure 3 cups of water or chicken broth and place in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over rice. Cover bowl or pan with foil or a tight fitting lid. Place in oven and immediately turn off oven. Leave the bowl or pan of rice in the oven over night. In the morning you will find the rice perfectly cooked. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 275
- Fat, gm.: 5
- Protein, gm.: 15
- Carbs, gm.: 43
- Cholesterol, mg.: 30
- Fiber, gm.: 3.8
--Recipe by UW Health Nutritionist Donna L. Weihofen, RD, MS
- Delta expects 'relatively normal' schedule
- Yet another dog food lot recalled because it may contain euthanasia drug
- 5 idyllic private island retreats
- Fyre Festival: When a $12,000 luxury festival in paradise turns into chaos
- The female chefs nominated for the James Beard Awards are on fire
- Where the sun rarely shines